Autumn Morning in Tsukahara

Autumn Morning in Tsukahara
Autumn morning in Tsukahara

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

All’s Well That Ends Well

Today’s my last day at work. I wonder what will happen next. I can’t remember the last time I did not have a job. Giving up a career to go onto something else can be a terrifying experience. It can also be exhilarating. It’s terrifying to take that first step off the cliff, but it’s exhilarating to look at where you’re going. I’ve always tried to live by the rule: Don’t look back. I guess for me, I shouldn’t look up. Every time that I do, I see my past career…airplanes. I told Erika that I wanted to move somewhere that didn’t have airplanes flying overhead. Fortunately, Tsukahara is located where only contrails are visible. That’s close enough for me.
Saying goodbye to coworkers has been an interesting experience. Many of them say, “Good luck in Japan.” I know that they mean well, but I wonder who should be wishing whom good luck. I feel like I’m embarking on a new life’s journey. It’s taken a lot of hard work and careful planning over the course of the past ten or so years. This is in comparison to many people who are stuck at the same old job doing the same thing day after day. I wish for those people to have good luck in finding fulfillment before it’s too late. Life is short and I plan to make the most of it…good or bad.

Kiley and Lucky go to the veterinarian tomorrow to get their health certificates. Then it’s on to the USDA in Olympia to get the official stamps on the paperwork. All of our belongings have been shipped and the house is empty. Rather than sitting in an empty house, we’ll be heading for the coast for a couple of days of relaxation before we board the plane. It’s been a wild ride so far and I’m sure that we have only just begun. Stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment