Autumn Morning in Tsukahara

Autumn Morning in Tsukahara
Autumn morning in Tsukahara

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

R.I.P.

I test flew the ASW 22 this past weekend. The weather was perfect. I wasn’t sure what to expect as far as performance. The plane had plenty of power. As soon as I let go of the plane, it took off like a rocket. Erika was busy trying to take pictures. I couldn’t get the plane to fly level. I turned the motor off after a couple of minutes.The plane came in for a very fast landing. The wings and tail survived in great shape. The electronics and motor were also okay. The 30 year old fuselage was brittle and it shattered like an eggshell. It was an exhilarating 2 minutes followed by shock and grief. We salvaged what we could of the fuselage, but it was hopeless. Erika did her best to calm me down. She reminded me that I had a lot more important things to worry about. She’s right. The strange thing is that I can’t wait to fly again. I’ll be installing the electronics in the Sagitta. I built that plane in 1985-86. I’ll post pictures as soon as I get started.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Rest In Pieces ASW 22, it was fun while it lasted.   George


No comments:

Post a Comment