Autumn Morning in Tsukahara

Autumn Morning in Tsukahara
Autumn morning in Tsukahara

Friday, July 27, 2018

New deck for the dogs









It’s too hot to finish the guest bath and bedroom. I decided it was time to paint the block wall in the backyard and build a deck. The deck is for the dogs to enjoy when it gets a little cooler. Originally I wanted a solarium, but then I decided that would be a pain to keep clean. The deck is made of aluminum and plastic. I figured this would be easy to maintain and not too hard to install. The concrete piers required some digging and leveling. The rest of the assembly was straight forward. Working with metal is a bit different from woodworking. Wood is more forgiving. Fortunately, I could use my chop saw to cut the metal supports. One of the deck panels required some cutting to get it to fit. The reinforced plastic cut like butter with the miter saw…no problem. After drilling a bunch of holes and installing several bags of screws, it was done. Another nice feature of a manufactured deck is that no stain is required. I’ll be making stairs for the manufactured deck and the wood deck at the same time in the near future.


















The concrete block wall is painted a light yellow. I think I chose the hottest day of the century to paint. The paint is like a rubber coating for concrete. It dries glossy and is easy to keep clean. Unfortunately, it's time to head back upstairs to finish the guest rooms. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment