Autumn Morning in Tsukahara

Autumn Morning in Tsukahara
Autumn morning in Tsukahara

Monday, September 1, 2014

Watermelons, Door and Rot Repair



 
 
Here are some pictures of the watermelons from Erika’s garden. They aren’t the largest melons, but they are delicious.

 

On another note, the front door has been needing a makeover for some time. Over the years, the joints have shrunk and separated. The door has become impossible to open and close. I took the door off its hinges and removed all of the hardware. I removed surface rust from the hinges and painted all of the door hardware a satin black. The black hardware blends in well with the mission-style motif we are trying to create in our home…more on that later. The door is solid and heavy. Erika and I carefully placed the door in the bed of the k-truck. BTW, the truck bed makes an excellent portable workbench. Unlike the pickup trucks in the states, three of the sides fold down.

 

I removed most of the oxidation from the wood and glued the joints. Pipe clamps were used to hold everything together. I also added some long stainless steel screws to secure the joints. The screw heads were concealed with epoxy putty and stained to match. After the glue cured, I reinstalled the door to determine what needed to be trimmed and shimmed. The door required about 1/8” of material to be removed with a skillsaw. Once everything fitted properly, the door was stained to match the exterior logs. The front door assembly consists of a side window door which needed to be adjusted and refinished. In all, the project took about two full days. At a later time, we will make a stained glass for the window door. I drew up a design right after we purchased the house. I can’t wait to get that project started.

 

On another note, I continued staining the logs on the front of the house. I preferred to start at the top of the house and work my way down. Unfortunately, I don’t have the scaffold to accomplish this. To continue making progress, I decided to start on the bottom and work my way up. I know this will be a problem at a later time. Power washing the eaves will make a huge mess on the newly stained logs. Stain and paint drippings will add to the problems. I’ll have to cover the logs with tarps and hope for the best.
 
While staining the lower logs, I encountered some severe rot on one of the vertical supporting beams. I knew that the rot existed before we purchased the house. I was glad to be finally taking care of it. The rot had eaten away about a quarter of the diameter of the log. I removed the rotted areas and was relieved to find that I could shape the area to form a flat surface. Imagine turning a round log into a square. The flat surface was treated with an insect and rot preventative and then stained. I’ll have photos of the completed project in a later post.

I’m into the third year of the remodel and I still have a very long way to go.        George






No comments:

Post a Comment