George has finally found his "Home Sweet Home" after 14 years of searching. George convinced Erika to move back to Japan, but it has been an uphill struggle. There are many problems that lie ahead for George and Erika before they can finally call Japan, "Home Sweet Home". Please join them as they face the difficulties and celebrate the successes. The journey promises to be entertaining as well as informative.
Summer in Tsukahara
Spring in Tsukahara
Wednesday, June 20, 2012
So, how are the repairs to the house coming along? I’m glad
you asked. The scaffolding was removed a couple of months ago. It’s nice to be
able to see out the windows again. The area that was covered with the blue tarp
has been repaired. The rotted areas were removed. The logs were treated to
prevent further rot and insect damage. The rotted wood was replaced with new
lumber. The areas were caulked and stained. Finally, a couple of clear coats of
acrylic were applied to give it that glossy look. All of the finishing
materials were purchased from Perma-chink
. Their materials are water-based and friendly to the environment. The cement
paneling between the logs required caulking at all of the joints. The panels
were primed and painted beige. I like the warm colors and the beige seems to
blend in with the dark brown. The color of the roof will probably be a leaf
green to go with the rest of the warm color scheme. The reasons we chose dark
brown for the logs are as follows:
1.It would have taken forever to get the
old dark brownish-red finish off the logs.
2.Matching the new wood (repairs) with
the old wood would have been difficult.
3.Removing all of the gray wood would
have been time consuming.
4.Dark colored stains hold up very well
to the damaging effects of ultra-violet.
5.The most important reason…Erika loves
I’ve just begun to do the repairs to keep this house
standing. It’s kind of like painting the Golden Gate Bridge…once you’re done
with one end, it’s time to start over. I’m concentrating on the rotted areas,
but with a full time job, it’s not an easy task. As soon as I thought I had taken
care of most of the rot, I found a few more areas. Yes, it’s frustrating to say
the least, but I’m becoming an expert at rotted log repair.
The rainy season has started in Japan, so the housework has
moved inside. I have as much to do inside as I do outside. I learned that I
shouldn’t move too far ahead when applying finishing coats to the interior
surface of the logs. This is because of the heavy rains. I might find water
stains seeping under the finish coats. That’s not a good thing.
The work inside requires patience. The old, white sealant
must be removed. Then, foam rods are fitted into the cracks. The rods prevent a
heavy buildup of sealant from forming when the sealant is applied. A thin layer
of sealant is flexible and less likely to crack/ peel due to expansion and
contraction. All of the water stains are carefully removed with a razor blade
using a scraping motion. This method takes forever, but it prevents a blotchy
appearance when a light colored stain is applied. Finally, a couple of clear coats
of gloss acrylic are applied. The result is an interior surface that reflects
light (creating a brighter room) and a surface that is easy to clean.
Besides…Erika loves it. I wasn’t a big fan of gloss finishes until I tried it
on this house. I’m hooked. The house sparkles and that’s the effect we were