Autumn Morning in Tsukahara

Autumn Morning in Tsukahara
Autumn morning in Tsukahara

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Japan

A couple of days ago, the news from Japan said that there were so many people who felt motion sickness because of the hundreds of aftershocks. According to Yahoo Japanese News, as of 3/16, there have been a total of three 7.0+ magnitude, forty-nine 6.0+ magnitude and two hundred sixty three 5.0+ magnitude aftershocks. It’s usually big news when a 5.0 magnitude quake occurs, but recently the concentration of disasters has diluted any interest in smaller earthquakes.

There are so many people that have been rescued, but they are living without hope and enduring hunger. They were grateful to be rescued, but soon many of them realized that they lost everything. Some said they felt guilty to live because they were already old.

I still cannot enjoy daily life. I feel guilty to have any fun in my life. I don’t know why I feel tremendously depressed about the disaster in Japan. Maybe because I’m getting old???

I was asked if I was afraid to go back to Japan. Yes, if I had to live in the area that has been affected by radiation, but otherwise no. I face crime in the U.S. every day. The local news is full of stories about drugs, murder, and rape in my city. I believe I can protect myself only by locking myself inside my home. George is especially protective of me and he won’t allow me to drive in the city…According to him, I’m a crazy driver too. What’s the difference between being scared of a natural disaster or a society full of danger? Either way, I have to live until the end of my life.
Erika


No comments:

Post a Comment