Autumn Morning in Tsukahara

Autumn Morning in Tsukahara
Autumn morning in Tsukahara

Monday, February 20, 2023

Finished Sunflower Stained Glass Mural

It's funny how life works. When I started this project I wanted to lighten the darkest area of our home with a colorful stained glass. Soon after I cut holes in wall I learned that Lucky (my dog) had a tumor that would end his life. The glass took on a whole new purpose. I desperately wanted to express my feelings I had towards all of the dogs I have shared my life with...Jeff, Sunny, Windy, Kiley, Lucky and all the rescues I have known or yet to know. Each flower displays its own personality which I tried to express in the pattern and color choices. I think each dog's character has been respectfully represented with each flower. 

The project started in August of 2021 and was completed in February of 2023. I tried to use every color of the rainbow. I ended up using 32 various colors of glass from five different manufacturers. The entire mural is six feet wide by four feet wide (190cm x 130cm). Several guests have commented that the mural made them feel happy. One person said it was breathtaking and uplifting. I think I accomplished lightening the darkest area of our home, but most important, I managed to lighten my spirit at a time when I felt the darkest. As a footnote, the day I completed and installed the last panel of the mural, I received the news that two dog rescues were available for adoption. One of the rescue workers commented that it felt as if my previous dogs were giving me permission to open my heart for those rescued pups. I could not have asked for better news.








No comments:

Post a Comment