Autumn Morning in Tsukahara

Autumn Morning in Tsukahara
Autumn morning in Tsukahara

Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Erika's New Hobby

   Well, it's not really a new hobby for Erika. She did a lot of stained glass back in California, in the 90's. I must say, she has a great eye for color and design. She got the idea of making a candle holder off the internet and turned it into something that's entirely hers. She wanted to create a relaxing and cozy atmosphere by adding candles to the room. This holder, which I hope is one of many, really does the trick. With the lights turned down, the candle projects many soft colors onto the walls and ceiling. Very nice and romantic if you're into that kind of stuff. 









  The glass is from leftover pieces from other projects so nothing is wasted. The glass nuggets were purchased in Japan from the same dealer who sold me large sheets of glass. Erika designed, cut out the glass. and foiled each piece. My job was to solder the whole thing together and add some wire things. Erika wanted a rustic feel so I purposely did a very crude solder job and added solder blobs here and there. I had to change my soldering technique from super neat and clean lines to rough and sloppy. It was good practice for me and I think it will help improve my soldering skills. Three dimensional soldering is tricky as the solder must remain horizontal or it drips onto the floor (or shoe as in my case). 


  I'm looking forward to doing other stained glass projects with Erika. We also have a woodworking project we are going to do together. Please stay tuned for that. As far as the progress for panel number 3 of 4, I'm quickly approaching the 90% completion mark with an estimated finish time for panel number 3 to be around the end of the year. Pictures will be posted soon. Have a great Thanksgiving and please stay safe. Cheers!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment