Autumn Morning in Tsukahara

Autumn Morning in Tsukahara
Autumn morning in Tsukahara

Monday, September 19, 2016

Flowers Are Red

In celebration of our upcoming 5th year anniversary in Japan, our “Home Sweet Home” received a splash of color. Inspired by our friends, Michael and Rose, we decided it was the perfect opportunity to make a color statement in our own home. Rose had painted one of the walls in her home a brilliant red. The color made a lasting impression on me. I thought I would never have the courage to make such a bold statement in our home. Besides, every house that we ever owned was purchased with the intention of reselling it. One of the rules for reselling a house is to keep the colors neutral. However, in the back of my mind, I wanted to have a red wall that would symbolize that I was finally home and I had no intention of selling or leaving.

The late singer/ songwriter, Harry Chapin, expressed my feelings towards colors in a song "Flowers Are Red". If you haven't heard the song, please click the link and have a listen.



The outside of our home does not reflect the colors that are inside. The basic beige, black, and brown are conservative colors. In other words, BORING.




 However, the blue front door gives a hint of what is inside. 



The color palette I chose generally looks like this: Blue in the bedrooms, Green in the living areas, Yellow upstairs and in the closets, and Red in the kitchen and highlight areas. Ideally, I wanted colors that were vibrant and alive.

 KPaint, the brand name we chose for our home, absorbs moisture in the air and helps control mold and mildew. Unfortunately, KPaint colors are somewhat limited. I compromised vibrant color for warm and rich colors. I found out later that Microsoft uses similiar colors in their logo. Well, if it's good enough for them... 



...it's good enough for me. OMG! George has lost his mind! He painted his house all of these wacky colors. Before jumping to any conclusions, please wait until the finished product is revealed. I have a gazillion pieces of trim that need to be installed which will tie all of the colors together. 

So far, the younger generation thinks the colors are really cool. The older generation...well, in Japan people are too polite to say what they really feel. Hah!!
We love it! 

Stay tuned, I promise to have a few more surprises. 


BTW, the floor is brown, beige and white so I'm not completely crazy.



4 comments:

  1. You are too kind but great minds think alike. Wish we could see it all in person but your journey has been a wonder! Continue on, kindred spirits, and know that we think of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you. We still have more work to do, but our home is slowly taking shape. We're looking forward to baking goodies in the wood stove as soon as the weather cools. Stay tuned...

      Delete