Autumn Morning in Tsukahara

Autumn Morning in Tsukahara
Autumn morning in Tsukahara

Monday, November 11, 2013

R Brian Baylis



Bicycling...I used to be obsessed with it, but that's tapered down to
 an occasional spin
 on the mountain bikes. I’m mentioning this because the builder of
 my bicycle is
 retiring in November (11/12/13). Baylis is one of the last true
 craftsmen in the
 business. Each frame is unique and built by hand. He hasn’t taken
 a frame order in
 over 5 years. According to Baylis, what finally pushed him to retire
 was the dwindling
 supply of Imron paint. He’s busy finishing up all of his backlogged
 projects before he
 calls it quits. He will still devote some time to mentoring future
 frame builders. He'll
 also continue crafting knives and finish a long overdue house
 remodeling project.












I purchased my frame (serial number 003) in 1986. The frame
 is equipped with Campagnolo 50th
Anniversary components. The bicycle has been collecting dust for
 the past few years. It's difficult to
 sell a custom bike because it's only custom to the original owner.
 Maybe a collector in Japan would
 be interested?
Erika and I often ride our mountain bikes when we are too tired to
 walk the dogs. The dogs don’t seem
 to mind jogging around Tsukahara while we happily roll along side of them.

Our tandem hasn't been ridden in a few years. This along with some other hobbies (stained glass,
 intarsia, and astronomy) are on hold until we get a handle on the
 gazillion things that need to be
 done around the house . It seems to be never ending.     George


The cycling world has lost a great craftsman. Brain Baylis passed on February 20, 2016. His obituary is
 posted here  






UPDATE: The 62cm Baylis is still available for sale. If you're interested please make your best
 offer in comments and I'll get back to you. ( Posted Mar 2024)


All measurements are taken from center to center of the tubes specified. Here are the specs:



 

Seat tube         62

Bottom Tube   65

Top tube          59.5

Head tube        14

Seat stays         56

Chain stays      43
Floor to the top of the top tube    84.6

Forks (measured from top of crown)     36

Serial number       3





Update:  This one was just sold on ebay 12/2020. 

3 comments:

  1. I just scoped out your site a few times, because I'm intrigued with Japan and it's culture, have been in the last 5 years only. I have only been for a couple days for work (Tokyo), but never had the opportunity to experience it. Neat that you decided to live there. I only briefly looked at your blog, Cool on the scopedome thingy. Actually, super cool. I dig astronomy. I'll have to look up those myself, not that I'll be getting one. Or will I?

    Cheers, ~ Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, is that Baylis still available???????? please let me know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but you have to come to Japan and pick it up. I won't sell it unless the buyer test rides it and is completely satisfied.

      Delete