Autumn Morning in Tsukahara

Autumn Morning in Tsukahara
Autumn morning in Tsukahara

Monday, May 20, 2013

Moving Right Along

Two roofers had the job done on a Saturday

The roofers showed up on a Saturday and installed the roof. I know that doesn’t sound like a big deal, but in the U.S. having a contractor show up on a Saturday would cost a fortune. They worked the entire day and finished the job. It’s routine to have contractors work on weekends without charging overtime.  
 
The carpenter will try to complete the workshop next week. He was not kidding when he said he could get the job done in ten days. I find myself wandering around the jobsite taking pictures of the craftsmanship. I often compare Japanese methods to the American way of doing things. It’s interesting to note that there are so few nails that are used. The work is clean, joints are tight, and the whole thing is put together efficiently. I haven’t seen much waste.
Good craftsmanship
 
I’m impressed, so far. I’m hoping our carpenter will do the remodel of our home when the time comes.   



Nice job!



Windows and doors are hung.
As I was comparing building techniques, I noticed that the framing for the windows and doors is simple and straightforward. No extra bracing required. Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion.   George
Cedar siding is acclimating



No comments:

Post a Comment