Autumn Morning in Tsukahara

Autumn Morning in Tsukahara
Autumn morning in Tsukahara

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Future Projects


Erika found someone who was giving away some hinoki logs. We made a special trip to Hasama to pick them up. I have some special projects planned for these logs in the near future. I would like to incorporate some of the logs to make bench posts for the deck. Some of the logs will be used for a couple of indoor chairs for the doggies. Last, but not least, I would like to use a couple of logs for the main posts for my observatory. Observatory? My plate is full of projects and the observatory is in the early planning stage. I’ll just say that I promise it will be REALLY cool and these logs will be put to good use.   George


2 comments:

  1. Hello George & Erika,
    I've been reading your blog over the last 2 days, actually I read every entry. I'm living in Milton Keynes in the U.K. with my Husband who is Japanese and our son who is 3yrs and half Japanese.

    We are considering a move to Japan. I lived there before we married but we moved to the U.K. to be closer to my family. However since returning 4 yrs ago and since having our son, we have found it hard to settle into a home here. Hence why we are ghinking of moving to Japan. Would I be able to ask your advice regarding life in Japan.
    My husband is not typically Japanese, also my son is very fiesty. I worry how he will fit into Japanese society. I have a love/hate relationship with Japan. But I especially loved my jobs in Japan and felt very free.

    My husband could earn maybe 4 million yen a year and we were hoping to use my salary to pay for private school in Japan. We vould buy a house in Kanagawa without a mortgage. Does living on thid salary sound realistic if we dont need to pay a mortgage?

    Sorry for rambling but you boyh sound similar to ourselves and would love some advice.

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel,

      The best advice I can give you is to not ask me for advice…just kidding. Aside from that, if you have the finances to make this happen and a positive attitude then anything is possible. From reading our blog (did you really read every entry?), we thought long and hard about making a change as drastic as ours. I took a tremendous pay cut to live in the Japan wilderness. Most if not all of our friends and acquaintances thought we were out of our minds. I’m happy to report that we did make the right move and regret that we didn’t do it sooner. Your situation may be similar to ours except for one major difference…we don’t have children. If we had a child we would not have made the move. Why? It would have been too much responsibility for Erika. She would have had to take care of our child and me. Don’t laugh. I’m a real pain in the behind and we both feel it would have been too much to handle all at once.

      Anyway, back to your question…yes, you can make it. We’re making it, but the budget is real tight.


      Delete