Autumn Morning in Tsukahara

Autumn Morning in Tsukahara
Autumn morning in Tsukahara

Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Lamps, the saga continues


Can you believe it took this much "stuff" to finally get the color I wanted? Well, it did. We have some really nice pieces of mission oak furniture that I tried to mimic as far as color. I think I did a good job. Living in the Japan wilderness makes it kind of hard to go to Lowes and pick a color off the store shelf. So, I had to improvise. The dyes I kept from many years ago. It was fun learning how to use them again.


Well, what do you think? Five coats, but who's counting. I like to sneak up on the color since once it's too dark you're screwed.


Lamp number one is stained and dyed. Four more to go. I think the others will go a lot faster...I hope.


Not to brag, but damn that came out well. 


Notice how the grain stands out. That's because of the dyes. Regular stain mottles the grain. I learned this the hard way.


I kept the night light pattern simple as I don't want to distract from the lamp shade. Colors are still undetermined as I don't know what colors are available in Japan. Please stay tuned for that. I'll be busy with the next four lamps and getting ready for the holiday season. Have a great Thanksgiving!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment