Autumn Morning in Tsukahara

Autumn Morning in Tsukahara
Autumn morning in Tsukahara

Monday, February 24, 2014

The World's Largest Grapefruit


 
Erika was walking the dogs in Hasama and a farmer gave her three soccer ball sized fruit. The fruit is called, “Banpeiyu”. I’m assuming that translates into “the world’s largest grapefruit”. How big is it? The picture doesn’t accurately depict the size of this fruit. The diameter is 12 inches. Banpeiyu smells like grapefruit. It weighs several pounds. The flesh is yellow, but the texture is dry. I don’t know why anyone would buy this, but I do know it costs around 500 yen…each. I wish I had taken a picture of the Banpeiyu tree. It was odd to see a tree filled with yellow soccer ball sized fruit. It reminded me of a tree decked out in huge yellow Christmas ornaments.     George

Update

YUMMMMMY! This fruit tastes a little sweeter than a grapefruit. If you like grapefruit, you'll love this! The cool thing is that there is so much to eat...about two or three large servings. Would I spend 500 yen? Absolutely!
The seeds are large and easy to remove.

The flesh is not dry at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment