Autumn Morning in Tsukahara

Autumn Morning in Tsukahara
Autumn morning in Tsukahara

Friday, October 5, 2012

Wow! It’s been a year?


Erika often says, “Time sure flies” as she is busily preparing lesson plans for the week. Time does seem to be passing quickly since we moved to Japan. Why is that? I know that time passes quickly when I’m busy. Perhaps this new lifestyle keeps me busy? I was busy in Seattle, but time passed like I was waiting to have all my teeth pulled. I noticed when I become involved with something I enjoy and it’s fun, time seems to move at warp speed. So, I must be enjoying what I’m doing, having fun, and staying busy. Yes, I think that would summarize our year in Japan.

A few days ago, Erika came home from teaching and she was in a cheerful mood. She explained that she had the best experience teaching that day. She realized that she was making a difference in a person’s life. She could influence a student in such a way as to make a positive change in that person. I think it finally dawned on her that she has the gift of being a teacher…an exceptionally talented teacher. When I grow up, I want to be like Erika.

After living in Japanfor a year, do I have any regrets? Yes. We should have done this sooner.

Do I have any advice for someone thinking of making a change? Yes. Take charge of your life, stop thinking and start doing!

Do you think you will move back to the U.S.? Sure. As soon as we become independently wealthy and we can afford a vacation home in California or Arizona. Erika loves the U.S. and I can’t deny her that luxury.

Our life in Japan has been an uphill struggle. It was also that way in Seattle. The main difference is that we have chosen to make it a struggle in Japan. It’s all about attitude. Feeling in control of our destiny is enlightening, but it’s also terrifying. I don’t think anyone is ever in control of their destiny, but ignorance is bliss. I think we are on the right path to having a successful business and a fulfilling life. Patience is proving to be the key. It’s kind of like fishing.

Well, cheers to keeping our line in the water.    George



 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment