Autumn Morning in Tsukahara

Autumn Morning in Tsukahara
Autumn morning in Tsukahara

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Next Project

 First, let me apologize for the picture quality. The first three photos are photos of photos taken way back when I still had a full head of hair (2000). I had to leave this glass with the house that was sold in California. The buyers insisted and I had no way of transporting several panels to Seattle safely. I knew one day I would remake all the panels I left behind. Well, the time has come for this panel. Hey, it only took me 24 years to get around to it.

The original panel was copper foil and quite large. The new panel will be lead and about half the size. I could easily reproduce the same size panel, but why? It was nerve racking to lift and place that monster in the window frame. I'm too old for that kind of stuff. BTW, I can still see that glass in the window when I Google map my old address. 

Believe it or not, this was one of my first stained glasses. I never believed in starting small. I learned a lot of lessons from that project. One thing I learned was a glass that large was far better to do in lead. Getting those solder lines to look decent took me forever. Another thing I learned is that a panel that large really needs a frame and reinforcement. I did the reinforcement, but I only used zinc as a frame. Lots of flexure and I sweat bullets whenever I turned the glass to clean it. I had to build a redwood stand just to transport and wash the glass. Do it again...I don't think so.





If you take a close look, you can see in the background one of the bridges I built. I created a dry creek bed that lead to a very large koi pond. I have a post about the Japanese garden.  https://japanhomesweethome.blogspot.com/search?q=japanese+garden


Here's the panels final resting place.


It was a real beauty. Hopefully, the next one will be even better. There's a small frog in the right lower corner that I will also reproduce. I'll also use some of the leftover glass from that panel. This should be fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment